[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Tell Me About Your Digital Camera

  • From: "GC-RGS" <gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Sep 2006 11:05:26 -0500

-
Nancy,

That loaded question is just like the Garmin/Magellan, Ford/Chevy, and
Palm/PPC discussions.

But, here's my 2 cents. I've got a Nikon SLR so equal quality from a P&S
digital isn't necessary.

I've had a Casio 5MP QV-R51 for about 3 years which I'm very happy with. It
has 3x/4x optical/digital zoom (digital is useless), uses an SD card,
rechargeable AA's or alkaline AA's so you can always have a spare set of
batteries. It also has a poor quality (15FPS) video w/o sound so that is
more of a toy.

I took some test pics when I first got it of a sculpture at Laumeier (the
big red tubes) and 2, 3, 4, and 5 mp and took them to SAM's for 4 x 6
pictures. Even the 2MP pic looked great, but looking very close comparing
the other pics, it was a notch below the 3-5. But for that reason, if I
don't need to crop (since it has an optical zoom), or print an 8 x 10, all
my pics are shot at 2MP.

Now just last Monday, I found a Casio Exilim S500 credit card camera at
Sam's for $150 but it was missing the charger. It uses a proprietary battery
but as it is, my Toshiba PDA 5v charger fits the camera. So far it's great
but I still need to do some playing. It's 5 MP. 3x/4x zoom, 2.2" LCD
display, 30FPS video (MPEG 4) w/ sound, SD card (same as my other camera and
Toshiba PDA), voice only recorder and 33 presets they call best shots (or
BS). The BS are things like night shots, sunsets sepia, B&W, etc. It does
basic editing in the camera, such as crop and resize, but I always use a
photo editing program for that. It also gives the option of manual focus but
not manual setting for aperture or shutter speed. Because of the size, there
is no view finder, although my other Casio has one. I really like the
smaller size but time will tell how it holds up.

I think too that most stores; Best buy, CC, CompUSA, etc have a 15 day
return policy if you want to trade for a different camera. I think the
restocking fees are only if you return it for money back just because you
didn't like it.

Rich

Now, about those Magellan vs. Garmin differences........