[GeoStL] Re: NGR: Rita

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 23:48:06 -0500

-
Here is the place where I watched the forecast for Katrina unfold right
dead on for the worst part of the hurricane to hit head on where my ex
wife's house is. It also induced my ex father and step mother in law,
ex sister in law, ex mother in law, and ex uncle in law.  They were
scattered from Ocean Springs (Biloxi) (2.5 miles from the beach at an
elevation of 13 feet) on the west to Gautier in the middle (0.4 mi from
beach and 7 feet elevation) and Grand Bay AL on the east.(2.5 mi from
the beach and elevation 77 feet.

I do hope the insurance companies and FEMA get their act together in
time to help these folks better than they did the Katrina folks. My ex
is without anything. She does get to go back to work. That is a blessing
since she can keep her mind off the disaster somewhat. But she had 5
feet of water come up in her house, and more coming in from the roof.
After several shady deals, she finally got every bit of the stuff in her
house out on the lawn right on down to the rafters, beams and studs. She
is balancing a job, and trying to find a FEMA and insurance adjuster to
even come out to inspect the house, ore even straighten out the
conflicting things she has been told.

Keep a carpet swatch to prove you had carpet. Keep the entire carpet so
we know how much of the house had each kind of carpet. Lock up and
secure the stuff you get out of the house so it will be there for the
adjuster. Of course at odds with this are the raiders who want the
stuff, and the clean up crews that want the bacteria laden stuff out of
there. So what do you do with it? Most of it is just out on the front lawn.

Power still isn't back, nor is communications. Other than lights and
air, it hits the infrastructure. If you don't have cash, you cannot buy
anything. Want gas? Plenty in the storage tanks, but no electricity to
pump it out. Got electricity to pump it out, no phone line to check your
debit or credit card, so they only accept cash. Which they have to use
to pay the employees. And since there a no phone lines, forget about the
ATM for getting cash. So if you were not flush with cash when Katrina
hit, you are in trouble.

Of course you need to keep an eye out on some things too, like the guys
who go to FEM. to get free tarps to be put on roofs so you don't get any
more damage from the rain.  These guys roam the neighborhood and offer
to put the tarps up for $500 each.

Enough of that. Yes, I really did have enough of that when I went down
there to help the ex. She is at least working even though she has to
stay at her boss's house during the week and at her mother's on the
weekend to wash clothes. The only clothes she has. Before we came down
with stuff my family collected, she had one pair of tennis shoes, and
three changes of clothes (jeans). Nothing at all for work. But now she
has enough to keep her going for a week before she has to wash, but I
know she still bought stuff she just won't take from someone else, like
underwear, etc.

She is actually pretty well off compared to others, so that says a lot
about how bad the others are. I pray that the texas folks don't have to
put up with the same.

Mike Griffin wrote:

>-
>Take a look at the traffic right now coming out of Galveston...
>http://www.hurricanetrack.com/rita1.wmv
>
>Mike
>
>Tired of Spam??
>Here's your solution..