[GeoStL] NGR Remote Car Locks/garage door openers

  • From: bleu-kangareu@xxxxxxx
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 15:43:05 -0500

-
often installed with the manufacturing default positions on a series of 8 or
so dip switches that represented the security code. You could go to any
hardware store and buy a replacement opener for the major brands and walk
down
any street opening a surprising number of garage doors that had been
installed
w/o changing the 'security code' i.e. dip switches. I saw it demonstrated
once
for a news segment on a major broadcast network (how's that for a
non-specific
reference?).

With modern GDO technology most use a randomized digital code so this
vulnerability is gone, similar to what's in the Snopes story for car door
openers. If you have an old GDO and you don't know that the dip switches
where
changed at install (or when you purchased the home), you may want to do that
now, just make sure that you change the remotes to match.