[GeoStL] Re: MoGeo.com domain is dead It's now http://www.MoCache.net/

  • From: "RNX" <_rnx_@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 21:43:53 -0400

-
maybe if you tap your foot ...

:P

------ Original Message ------
From: Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: MoGeo.com domain is dead It's now
http://www.MoCache.net/

-
yea, they said that I can reinstate it for an easy 80.00 plus the yearly
fee.   piece of cake.    Also I need to send them ID proof  that I am
the person that controls the account. Notarized stuff,  tax papers from
Mogeo might work, (yea right).

1planhost started jacking me around a year ago.   I was still paid up on
my 1planhost year of hosting but since their servers shut down, that
didn't matter, we were all off line and dead in the water.   I needed to
find some new servers pronto and then change the domain name pointers to
point to from the old 1planhost servers to the new ones with Invision
power services (My forum host).  Even with new servers, if the domain
name points to the wrong place, nothing happens.

Technically, I was not even able to have the domain pointers changed  to
other servers like i did.  The standard run a round that 1plan was
giving other users was that they were locked into their servers for
something like 180 days before they were allowed to make a change and
then they had to pay a fee to change their domain pointers.

I had to pull some strings and have someone hack into the domain server
place and change the pointers on the domain from the old servers to my
new servers. I found an old and hacked off employee that still could get
into the computer to go in and change the numbers for me but only if I
swore that I never told anyone who he was because 3000 other pi**ed off
customers would be at his door wanting the same.

Once I could at least point to good servers, the site was back up for a
while.  My next adventure was trying to change control of the domain
registration from 1plan to anyone else like godaddy or whoever.  I was
never able to get that done.

I knew that if i could not get control back and at least renew, things
would die out. No support, no info on who to send money to, 1plan
wouldn't answer anything. It was just a mess.

Same thing happened to a friends restaurant. One day a Porn site showed
up at his restaurant domain. That surprised a lot of the locals looking
for the Sunday buffet.  :-)  His fee was 350 to get his name back.  He
didn't do it either so I guess 80.00 is not a bad deal.

I don't really want to start fresh,  I know  lot of websites are
pointing to mogeo.com.  I just don't have enough money to pay to get the
mogeo name  back AND  keep the Mogeo forums running.   People use the
forums a lot,  No one really went to mogeo anyway. I still have the info
out there   I just need to get the word out again and let the old domain
name go and quit fighting with them. I am just tired of all the
hassles.  It ceased to be fun quite a while back.