[STL Geocaching] Marquette Park Caches RE: Re: off tomorrow

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 22:50:50 -0600

Actually anyone other than Bruce (and maybe Denali) could spend a weekend
doing my Marquette Park caches.  They have about 17 miles of hiking.  It's
Illinois' largest state park.  There is a campground and lodge.  Here are my
caches in the Park:

Little Giant City Cache
This one is a mile bushwack with no significant climbing.  The cache is in a
really neat spot.

Lost Cabin Cache
This is my favorite.  It is a 4 mile loop.  It is mostly flat execpt you go
down one very steep hill and have to go up a very steep hill.  About half
way (right by the cache) is a old cabin and barn.  A real neat place to
explore.  A great place for lunch.  There is a loft in the barn.

Saint Andrew Ridge Cache
It is a 2.5 mile round trip through a highest quality forest in the park.
There is some climbing.  You can make a detour on the Lost Cabin Cache and
get to it.  But it is actually further this way as it would add 3 miles to
the Lost Cabin loop.

The Glades
This one is not in the Park, but an easy flat walk not to far from the Saint
Andrew Ridge Cache.

Gilbert Lake Cache
This one is a 5 mile completely flat ground cache.  It is not actually in
the Park, it is in the wildlife refuge next to the park.  It is right next
to the Illinois River and there are lots of wildlife in the area.  There is
also an eagle's nest in the area.

Sierra Club Cache
This is a couple of mile long hike in a real nice area that was saved from
logging.  There is some climbing involved.

Dagett Hollow Cache
This is a 2.5 mile hike through a very scenic part of Marquette Park.

There are also caches along the River Road on the way to the park.