[GeoStL] Re: Laptop help

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 00:18:23 -0600

Open the .gpx  file in GPS babel

 <http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/> http://gpsbabel.sourceforge.net/

Change the output format to TopoMapPro Places File

Have it end with .csv

Process

Open Street Atlas USA 2004 Plus

Go to Xdata

If you already have the file installed and are updating it, delete the file
first.

Then Import

Select Data Source

Select the file you just created

Make sure it is on tab delimited and then select next

In the first column change none to no import

Click the dot in the hole in the 3rd column.

Go to the last column and select URL

Then select next

Select symbol and color

Select next

Then finish

This will give you an icon for each cach with a hyperlink to teh Internet.
This can really clutter the screen and make the computer just to teh
Internet when you try to zoon in.   So I import the file a second time like
this

Go to Xdata

If you already have the file installed and are updating it, delete the file
first.

Then Import

Select Data Source

Select the file you just created

Make sure it is on tab delimited and then select next

In the first column change none to no import

Then select next

Select symbol and color

Select next

Add -Flag to the name to know this one is the one without the text and
hyperlink

Then finish

This gives you a flag for each cache without the text and hyperlink.  Keep
this one on all the time and when you get zoomed in you can also turn on the
one with the hyperlink.

If you need help figuring it out, give me a call (618)259-3642

Once you get it figured out, it is real easy to do.  The hard part was
figuring out how best to import it (I spent lots of hours on this!)

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

  _____