[GeoStL] In The News..

  • From: "James Everman" <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 12:00:02 -0500

-
This came up in a news clip service I get:

 (quote - from July 17 artical)

Det. Doug Stice, one of the first bomb technicians on the scene, sent the robot out to have a look. In this very park two years ago, Stice had answered a pipe bomb call and found a harmless canister made to resemble a bomb and containing clues to an Internet treasure hunt game played with Global Positioning System devices.

He suspected this was another, and the images sent back by the robot made him 90% sure. But that wasn't good enough.

"In today's times," Stice said, given London, and given the state of the world, he couldn't be sure.

The bomb squad called airport police and takeoffs were halted.

Minutes later, the robot exploded the device.

It wasn't a bomb.

In the shredded remains, I found a piece of paper with the letters "GPS."

I don't know what kind of morons would play games with devices made to look like bombs, but I left the scene thinking the same thing the bomb squad often thinks.

(End quote)

The full artical is at:

 http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-lopez17jul17,0,7947123.column

 This is at the end..