[GeoStL] Giant list of How to Do Stuff......

  • From: Glenn <glenn.geocachingadmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SLAGA <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 20:32:22 -0500

-
We need to get a list of "How To's together", I heard lately. That got
me thinking. I have a bunch of how do I to it's So I thought I would
throw a couple out there. I refer to all these links all the time for
one thing or another.
glenn

------------------------------------

This is How to do.... a zillion different things. I refer to this list
all the time.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=8749 see list below
for index of stuff here.

I used to keep a set of pages for How To's but Markwell keeps a very
nice list so, why continue to reinvent the wheel. I let him do the work
and link to it. :-) Lots of good stuff here.
http://www.markwell.us/geofaq.htm

How do I make sure that my cache gets listed?
(place the unmarked bills at N38. 45xxx oops, wrong list of instructions)
My buddy Davros has a nice list of things written up but I lost the
list. BUT... Here is a link to pretty much the same list.
http://www.mdgps.org/modules.php?name=sugguide If you do these thing,
cache listing will go much quicker.

Can't I search groundspeak for info? Sure. But i cant get the Knowledge
Base link to work right now but here is the link
http://groundspeak.trakhelp.com/

Is there ONE place where I can learn to do all this Geo-stuff?
Geocacher U is a pretty good 1st stop for any new cacher. They have a
very nice site.
http://www.geocacher-u.com/index.html
http://www.geocacher-u.com/101/index.html

What are the items on the Groundspeak how to list? To name a few....

Travel Bug and Geocoin FAQ's
Can I log a find on my own cache when I go back to visit?
What GPS Should I Purchase
What Icons Represent the Different Cache Types?
Meanings of Acronyms and Terms Used in Geocaching
Locationless, Virtual and Webcam Caches
How to add HTML to Your Cache Page
Using the Forum Search Feature
Can I use a GPS while on an airline?
Forum Posting Guidelines and Forum Moderators
Finding Handicapped Accessible Geocaches
All About CITO (Cache In Trash Out)
Geocacher University
Where do I find the "Stash Note" to put in my cache to explain what it is?
What is an "SBA log"?
What's the meaning behind the Geocaching logo?
How do I "average" a waypoint?
Cache Saturation Guidelines: The "528 foot rule"
How do I log a cache that I searched for?
Do I need to wait for confirmation from the owner before logging a
virtual cache find?
How do I find out about new caches hidden near me?
Adding a Picture to a Forum Post
How do I Get a Photo to Display on my Cache Page?
Why Can't I Start a Poll?
How do I manually enter cache coordinates into my GPSr?
Ethical Guidelines for Geocaching
Where can I find the Off Topic Forum?
Who's Watching My Cache?
How do I become a volunteer cache reviewer?
What's the Purpose of a "Note to Reviewer" and How Do They Work?
What is the suggested forum etiquette?
How do I Adopt Ownership of a Geocache?
What are "Additional Waypoints" and How Do I Add Them To My Cache Page?
How can I change my User Name (Account Name)
-----------------
List's on Markwell's Site...

# How do I convert a street address to latitude/longitude?
# Some of these sites show the coordinates in decimal format. How do I
convert?
# Why WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM datum and format?
# I enetered the coordinates into my GPS for a new cache, but the map
doesn't match up with the actual location. What am I doing wrong?
# How do I find caches along a route? - Separate Page
# What are "Additional Waypoints" and how do I use them? - Separate Page
# I've run across a term in the discussion thread that I don't know. Is
there a place that lists common terminology?
# Maps on my cache page (3 questions)

1. The maps on my cache page are the ugly maps. How do I get the good
looking ones?
2. I don't have ANY maps on my cache page. What's wrong?
3. The little preview map by the cache name is showing the wrong part of
the country/world. How do I fix it?
4. What are ?signature items??
5. What's a spoiler?
6. How are Waypoint Names Generated and What Do They Mean
12. How do I make the ?°? symbol when typing?
13. Which GPS unit should I buy?
14. What do I need a magnetic compass for?
*Triangulate?
*I think I know how to use a compass now...

15. How many feet are in 0.001 minutes?
16. How can I calculate the distance between two sets of coordinates?
17. What do the different ratings mean, and how should I rate the cache
I placed?
18. What the heck are Pocket Queries? How do I use them?
19. I get what Pocket Queries are, but I still need a little help... -
Separate Page
20. What are Attributes, and how are they used?
21. I need help logging a bug. What do I do?
22. How come my Travel Bug isn't showing up in the Bug Gallery?
23. What are some of the common thoughts on Travel Bugs?