[GeoStL] Re: Geocaching on TV Special

  • From: Carol Shahriary <shah11@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 08:37:14 -0700 (PDT)

-
What you say (in the previous post) follows the
copyright law as I (a librarian) understand it.  We
are restricted at the school to making single copies
for educational use and even then we are restricted in
how much (how many pages or minutes)of a single item
we can copy.  One could, conceivably, make a single
copy of the geocaching segment for use in teaching
geocaching and be within the "fair use" guidelines.
Posting it on the web (as opposed to linking to it)
constitutes "publishing" it and would violate
copyright.  It may seem like a trivial matter, but you
never know who the lawyers will decide to go after.
The best bet is linking to it and/or getting
permission to copy or re-publish it.
Dancing Strawberry

--- Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

---------------------------------
-    Well, I believe you can copy for your own
personal non commercial use.Even if you don't sell it,
giving it away would hurt their sales ifthey chose to
sell it, so it really doesn't matter that you don't
getmoney for it. It is no longer for your "personal"
use if you give itaway.

On the other hand, it would not be illegal if we had
permission to postit to the web site. So if anyone
wants to try to get permission, thenthat would be the
way to go. They may go for it, since it probably
haslittle commercial value. On the other hand, lawyers
tend to not begrounded in reality and may choose to
make it so difficult to doanything that it becomes
impractical.

The other option that was mentioned was it might be on
their web site.If that happens, then we could link to
it from ours, and that would notbe illegal.

WARNING: I am not a lawyer, and none of this should be
considered legaladvice. It is my own personal
interpretation which may be out of blindignorance. So
take it FWIW.

tnlnsl57 wrote:          I'd like to get a copy also
ifpossible, I'm pretty sure they won't have a problem
as long as it's notbeing sold. I can't pick up KSDK
out here in the boonies. - Thx. - Tim

          From: "Bob TheCacher"
<cachefinder@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [GeoStL] Geocaching on TV Special
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2007 21:11:57 -0500

-
NOW HEAR THIS ---

To All:  Several of us, in two locations, helped Ann
Ruben from KSDKfilm some footage of geocaching a month
or so ago.  Well it'sshowtime!!  This Sunday, during
the 10pm news, Geocaching is the star. KSDK will be
airing a geocaching special using the footage she and
herassistant took.  Set your TV to record it if you
can't be near a TV. Pass the good word!!
BBD1  (Bob)

Local listings, incredible imagery, and driving
directions - all in oneplace!
http://maps.live.com/?wip=69&FORM=MGAC01

Caches Scheduled to be Archived
http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

Caches Scheduled to be Archived
http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

Caches Scheduled to be Archived
http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

Carol Strawberry
"Common sense and a sense of humor are the same thing, moving at different
speeds.  A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." (William James)