[GeoStL] Geocache time capsules

  • From: "P ekey" <pkekey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 23:03:22 -0500

Here's some people who are using gps units to hide time capsules. I hope they
haven't deposited any in federal parks . . . it could give geocaching a bad
name, even if this isn't the same thing, strictly speaking. -- Pam/Tribble

      Washington State Couple Leaves An Adventure Legacy for Their Descendants:
Wilderness Time Capsules
        Two active grandparents have created a novel method for reconnecting
with their descendants decades into the future. Most every summer, while their
young grandsons remain anchored to the urban lifestyle of their parents, these
energetic grandparents escape to wilderness areas of Washington, Idaho and
Montana.to bury a few more time capsules. Here is an adventure to bridge the
generations.

      (PRWEB) May 6, 2004 -- Two active grandparents have created a novel
method for reconnecting with their descendants decades into the future. Nancy
and Alan Bixby of Whidbey Island in Washington State wanted to leave a legacy
that would prompt their city-based grandsons to experience the western
wilderness. So five years ago, they started preparing time capsules to bury
near their remote campsites in some of the most spectacular areas of the
American West. "Our guess is that several decades into the future those two
boys will likely be curious enough to search out the capsules with their own
young families", says Alan Bixby, a semi-retired video producer. "As they're
having fun, they'll also be able to revisit memories of their grandparents."

      Every summer while the young boys and their parents remain anchored to an
urban life in Portland, Oregon, their energetic grandparents escape to
wilderness areas of Washington, Idaho and Montana.to bury a few more time
capsules.

      Using a hand-held GPS (Global Positioning System) device as their
locator, the Bixbys have trekked through regions of incredible splendor. In
these isolated areas they have discreetly hidden capsules of various sizes. GPS
coordinates of latitude and longitude will identify the precise location of the
drop-sites for any return trip.ever.

      What do the tightly sealed geo-capsules contain? A few things of material
value simply to boost future motivation to seek them out. But the many diverse
items in each stainless steel tube are mostly of family and personal interest.

      "Our real motivation is to encourage a wilderness exposure for our
grandsons when they become parents of their own children," says Nancy. But
these are two-sided adventures because the Bixbys appear to have as much fun in
preparing and depositing the capsules as the boys will in retrieving them.

      The grandparents have researched materials and methods that ensure
time-capsule survival through several decades. To make certain that the GPS
coordinates and other details are never lost, they prepare lists of capsule
contents, physical maps, digital photos and even TerraServer Aerial Satellite
images, together with retrieval instructions to leave with the boys' parents.
For added protection, they give duplicate records to young adult relatives and
they send location coordinates to the International Time Capsule Society which
maintains a permanent registry of known capsules. A website crafted by the
Bixbys explains their step-by-step procedure for assembling and preserving
these "memory" capsules. (See:
http://www.timeinacapsule.com<http://www.timeinacapsule.com/> )

      "Some people have asked if we think our grandsons may never have an
interest in collecting the hidden treasures", notes Alan. "If you knew that
there was a secret cache left exclusively for you in some remote area of
spectacular beauty, just how many years could you live with that knowledge
before you packed up the family and headed out for your own adventure"?

      The idea has elements of a related sport called geocaching, but
"geocapsuling" can have a deeper significance to parents or grandparents (and
their descendants) by encouraging wilderness adventures. while leaving an
exceptional legacy.