[GeoStL] Re: Garmin Colorado version 3.52 BETA - CHIRP SUPPORT

  • From: Tom Wolpert <tom_wolpert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 09:43:45 -0800 (PST)

Don't get me wrong -- I like my Colorado.  But I think Garmin just decided it
was a bad plan to begin with.  The scroll wheel is definitely an acquired
taste. It's singularly bad at text or coordinate entry.  And I, at least, am
prone to zooming inadvertantly when I take it off or put it on my belt.  In
addition, it suffers from lots of mechanical problems.  The wheel falls off,
the
magnet falls off the wheel, grit gets in and interferes with proper
operation...  I think Garmin decided that they could do better from a UI
standpoint with the touch screen, smaller form factors are possible with a
patch
antenna, and so forth.

Frankly, I'm kind of (but pleasantly) surprised we're seeing feature
enhancements at all.

Tom