[GeoStL] GPS survives 16,000 Gs

  • From: "Gale R. Nie" <showme69@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 21:39:37 -0600

-
I was watching Future Weapons on the Military Channel tonight.  They had a
GPS-guided artillery shell called Excalibur they subjected to 16,000 Gs in a
test firing, which is twice as much as it will be subjected to in a real-world
situation.  The electronics survived the firing and it performed flawlessly.
They fired one shell at a target 22 km away but instead of firing straight at
the target, it was shot 4 miles off course, about a 15° offset.  During it's 90
second flight, the shell corrected it's flight and hit within 2 yards of the
target.  I just wish my etrex wouldn't shut off when it receives a slight bump.
Here's a couple links with info on it.
http://tinyurl.com/zdqld

http://tinyurl.com/26w6h9