[GeoStL] Fwd: Re: Fwd: question about the web site

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2003 21:00:45 -0600

-
Direct from the guy that does the magic....

I will try to explain my reasoning.

Even though the recent logs job runs every 15
minutes, the time it takes for the job to complete
might be anywhere from a few seconds to 5 minutes
(depending on the Perl script's throttle setting and
how many new log details have to be looked up).

To add to the complexity of timing, there is no
good way to sychronize the 15 minute update
schedule of geostl.com with the 15 minute update
schedule of geocaching.com.  It is best to assume
they are never in-synch.

The third part of the equation is where within
these two disparate processes a user decides
to open up the Recent Logs page.

So, to give the user a better chance to see more
new data more quickly, I made the browser refresh
rate shorter than 15 minutes so the overlap of the
schedules will be in their favor.