[GeoStL] Free High Quality Garmin Topo Maps

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 21:09:41 -0500

-
As you should recall a while back I learned how to make Topo and other maps
for Garmins as explained at:

http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm

I was figuring it out back then and experimenting.  Well I got it figured
out and am pretty impressed with the maps I have been making.  I have spent
a lot of time figuring it out and correcting earlier mistakes.  So I hope
others can share the product of my efforts.  If I do not say so myself, they
are some really neat maps.  I wish I had not spent about $200 for 24K West
and Central National Parks as I can make better maps!

They only work on Garmin and they work in Mapsource so you can chose and
upload them like any other map.

The way they work is they are transparent maps.  The topo lines and
hydrology (that is all that is in the map) work as overlays.  They will show
over your other map (like city select or city navigator) in your GPS.  (In
mapsource all you see is the topo lines and hydrology.

Most of the maps have a 10 foot contour interval.  (I used five in some
really flat areas.)  The elevation data is very accurate.  It is the .3
arcsecond data set which means it has more than 3 times the resolution of
the data used to create the USGS 24K maps (and 12 times the resolution of
the TOPOUSA maps).  For most places I was able to get high resolution
hydrology.  But a few places only had medium resolution data available.  I
have been really amazed at how accurate the data has been.  The map would
show a little bump and there would be on right there.

You can turn the maps on and off just like you can city navigator, USA
Topo, etc.  You can just select the set and it no longer displays.  I keep
them on all the time.  I have not noticed any performance problems when
using the maps other than a couple of times when I was zoomed way in and
driving about 65 it was redrawing slowly.  Overall I have been very
impressed with the maps (and impressed that I was able to make them).

I have most of the greater St Louis area covered and many other places.
(Since I have 24K Central I am not making any maps for where they cover.)
Probably anywhere in the area you would want to cache/hike I have made topo
maps for.

I also have some trail maps that are also overlays.  I've been adding more
stuff, but if anyone has any gps tracks of trails, please send them to me so
I can add them to the maps.

I also have a POI map for the USGS POIs.  I only have it for Madison County
IL.  I hope to soon have it for all of MO and IL.  GPSBable needs to be
modified to convert the files from USGS and someone is working on it.

I have all the maps posted at:  http://mapcenter.cgpsmapper.com/ The ONLY
file you need to download is the first one binary img  The other stuff is
the source code that created the files.

They are all free and no restrictions on their use.  There was lots of work
in them and they work really well so I hope others use and enjoy them too.
I would just like to know who uses them and what you think.

The only problem is it is a bit complicated to set it up the first time.
Once you have it set it, it is real simple to add maps.  The site does not
explain how to get the maps into mapsource.

The Uploading your custom map using MapSource section of
http://home.cinci.rr.com/creek/garmin.htm explains the process.  But if you
need help I will be glad to help you get it set up.  It is really not that
difficult.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"