[GeoStL] Re: Food for Thought

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 18:36:58 -0600

-
Thats a neat idea. i tried to plan out something like that last year and i just couldnt get it going in my head.

very cool. There was a giant Geo-competition in Ga. (i think) last year. it looked like it turned out pretty neat. big bucks as prize money too.

At 05:53 PM 1/18/2003 -0600, you wrote:

-
I always have been one to think big. Even when I only *think* big and *do*
nothing, I still like to think big. So here is my latest thought.

SLAGA hosts the first annual Geocaching Open Invitational. This would be an
event that we would have to setup far in advance and get a couple of major
sponsors. What would it entail? Glad you asked.

It would consist of a very large scale multicache that would allow teams to
compete. We could have a 30+ waypoint cache spread out in a 100 mile radius.
Limit the teams to a certain number and score based upon solving a complexed
problem where clues would be furnished within each cache. They could solve
the problem in a number of ways but they would have to visit at least 75% of
all caches to get enough clues to solve it. The morning of the competition,
they are given the clue waypoints and the race begins. They can split up or
search together. Whoever completes in the shortest amout of time is
proclaimed the winner. Perhaps have 2nd - 5th as well?

I have not seen anyone doing this on a grand scale. I think that all GPSr
manufacturers would be there in support and our sport/hobby would start
getting national recognition like Orienteering.

Just a thought.. Comments? Anyone loading as I'm typing?

Mike

 The SLAGA E-store is closed for image repairs but this is what is there.
The SLAGA E-store  http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=SLAGA