[GeoStL] Re: Fall picnic

  • From: "BottomFeeder" <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 19:57:26 -0500

-

So, you like having 500 unread messages sitting in your InBox.(?) <gg>

I guess it depends on the intended direction SLAGA wants to head. It's my
impression things are in a bit of a 'growing pains' stage. It seems there is
some sentiment that falls in the 'it ain't broke, so don't fix it' category.
And some that seems to want to push the organization more towards an
activist/growth mentality.

If the former is the predominant line of thought, that's fine. There's a
good web site in place with some nice features, a willlingness to
plan/participate in a couple of annual organization wide events, occasional
impromptu smaller group hunts, and this nice little 'Milestones
Congratulations' mailing list. Nothing wrong with that at all.

OTOH, if the activist/growth mentality is the direction people want the
group to head, then perhaps some changes may be in order. *IF* part of the
plan is to promote the sport, attract new members and get them involved,
work regularly in an organized fashion with govt organizations, etc, then
what better place to drive that strategy than the web site. But it needs to
be more a 'one stop shopping' organizational structure for that to
ultimately succeed....at least IMNSHO. Right now, going to the site
occasionally for some info (in several different places), subscribing to the
mailing list for some discussion, receiving periodic 'newlsetter' emails,
and having the semi-experimental forums is a bit disjointed.

I think mailing lists are great when the group of semi-regular posters is in
the 20-25 range as this one seems to be currently. But if the organization
were to grow significantly, and the number of active participants grew to
say, 75-80 semi-regular posters contributing anywhere from 50-100 messages a
day, then a mailing list is much less effective. 'Forums' may not be the
most convenient for the individual, but may well be better for the
organization.

     -= Russ =-

Subject field