[GeoStL] Re: Distance limitations

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2003 19:35:51 -0600

-
This is a deal where the more info the approver knows ahead of time, the less questions you will get as you go along. This is where having a knowledge of the local caches comes in handy.

IF all you put was the coods of the starting spot as the same as Bruce's entrance, the approver would just see it and archive ya with a note. If you explain that several folks are using the same starting spot but go in different directions and tell them that the final spot would be properly located, probably nothing would be said. Multis are tough because the approver does not know what else is out there or where the cache is going to end up. It would easily be possible to have starting coods miles apart with the final cache being the same spot. The approver would never know. Unless of course they cached in the area or somebody mentioned it in the logs that an approver was looking at. It would be impossible for say ~erik to catch those kinds of things being so far away.

When in doubt, make a log on the cache page explaining all your stuff with a note to delete the log when approved.

If a new guy posts a funny looking cache, i may start writing notes to see if he knows what he is doing BUT I approved a RGS style puzzle cache today without knowing how to do the puzzle. The cache placer has like 1000 finds and is very active. That helps.

Hope that helps,
glenn

At 07:00 PM 3/3/2003 -0600, you wrote:
I have a thought I would like to discuss with the rest of the group. I know that there is a .1 mile distance minimum that needs to be setup for a cache. Is this actual distance to the logbook cache or is it the starting or posted corrdinates.

Example, Bruce has the coords listed for the entrance to Busch Wildlife. Does this mean that I could not post the same coordinates if I wanted to place a cache there also? If I had someone do a complexed calculation using a map and compass I would want to list coords for Busch but not to the actual cache.

Again, this is just theoretical. I have no intention on placing caches in Busch. I do however have one in mind and would like to know if this will be a factor. I will need to use coordinates where no other cache will be placed within .1 miles.

Mike

"Newsflash: All Walmart and KMart stores in IRAQ will be closing March 22nd. After that time they will become Targets"