[GeoStL] Re: Coordinate Systems

  • From: Brian Maddox <gowaddle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2003 11:29:46 -0700 (PDT)

-
Yeah, for all intents and purposes they're identical.  Mathematically, there
are some very minor differences.  Both are based off of the same ellipsoid
(GRS80), but the WGS84 ellipsoid differs very slightly from GRS80 due to one
of the constants used.  But, you'll more than likely never see any difference
in practice unless you go way nuts with significant digits (ie, more than
likely won't see it on a handheld GPS).

--- Jim Williams <jwilliams2@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Does anyone know if there is any difference between WGS 84 and NAD 83
> Coordinates?  I was told that they are identical in the North America.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Jim

Subject field