[GeoStL] Careful? Not caching in 100+ MPH winds! Perhaps crazy, but boy was it a thrill!!!!! RE: Re: Be careful out there !

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 20:31:53 -0600

-
I wonder if I set the world record for the most extreme weather caching in.
I had to log a DNF in spite of parking 250 feet from the cache after I was
blown about 20 feet through the air and barely got back to my car!

Here is my log:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=b1cd7c47-ee0f-48ca-97
a4-7315f840ad23

or the cache number GCQJHY.

Did you hear about the big windstorm on the Oregon/Washington coast
Wednesday?  I drove down the coast in it.  One of the most thrilling days of
my life!

I am really not sure how fast the winds were.  All I know is the winds were
the highest at the beaches and I was 500 feet from the Pacific Ocean
(nothing between me and the ocean but sand and grass) at the height of the
storm.  I heard on the news that the highest speed recorded was 122 mph.
And the wind picked me up and threw me 20 feet through the air and ripped my
goretex pants.  Anyone know how high of winds it takes to pick you up and
throw you in the air?  All I can say was it may have been insane, but it was
such a thrill!

A couple of notes on my Garmin 60CSX.  It worked perfectly in the planes
everywhere.  It also had no trouble maintaining a fix in the extreme tree
cover of the ancient rainforests.  However, on one trip in the rainforest of
Olympic National Park (mostly closed due to washed out roads or snow) in a
mountain canyon, it had some trouble.  It never actually lost the signal,
but it had some accuracy issues twice.  I also really liked the built in
tide tables.  They were great when you were going to the beaches.  The
Western National Park 24K was accurate on the topography and vegetation, but
there were some issues with some trails not on it and some being in the
wrong place.  But overall it was really good.

Jim Bensman

"Nature Bats Last"