[GeoStL] ******* ADMIN Note: *********

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 12:45:47 -0600

- Welcome to the new folks, it sure took  ya long enough! (you know who ya are :-)  )

This is just a random ADMIN note to let folks here know about some of the features this list.

This is an un-moderated, closed post  list. That means that I don't check the messages before they get sent to the list  but you have to be subscribed to the list to post to it.

You need to post to the list using the same address you subscribed with and you can subscribe multiple email addresses to the list.

This lesson will be the various "modes" of the list and how to change them.

  • First,  there is the NORMAL mode. Every time a post is made to the list you will recieve an email. reading the list this way is like playing with the CB radio. Many threads going on at the same time.
  • Second, there is the DIGEST mode. You will only get one large email per day and it will contain all the messages from the day before. This is a good option if you like to lurk and not too interested in "up to the minute" news.  I get digests of several lists and i always feel like i am a day behind the rest of the world.
  • Third, there is the VACATION mode. what happens here is you will not get any mail for the time that you are on "vacation" but you can still send to the list to keep us up to date of your travels.   This will prevent you email box from filling up while you are gone.
Q. How to change modes??
A. On the GeoStl webpage there is the "Join the Slaga Newsgroup" link over on the right. The subscribe option is already filled in but if you open the dropdown menu several other options will open.  Un-subscribe is the second one down (i think).

To unsub (or to change to any of the other options)
  •  fill in you email addr, ]
  • open the dropdown menu,
  • select [option], press GO!

If i see that it is being fussy with you, I will manually change your options.

Some people have their email systems set up to reject attachments (generally a good idea). If an email goes to the list with a (small please) attachment, they will not get that email.

I would suggest practice safe computing and run an up-to-date antivirus package of your choice. I routinely use 2. A good one that is free and a commercial product. I like them both.  If anyone needs help with anti-vrius, & anti-pest/spyware stuff,  just ask.

Glenn
*the SLAGA mailman
Glenn
St. Louis, Mo **************************************************************************** Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List Info. //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching The SLAGA E-store is closed for image repairs but this is what is there. The SLAGA E-store http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/store.aspx?s=SLAGA ****************************************************************************