[GeoStL] Re: 2 way radios

  • From: "Mike Bollinger" <lazylightning7@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2004 12:46:32 -0600

Hey Chris,

How is it that you need a federal license for those?  There is no
interstate component to using them and the FCC lacks jurisdiction in the
matter.  The only time that the FCC can claim jurisdiction is in "inter"
- not "intra" - state.  It's just like the low power FM radio stations
(or pirate radio) and the FCC lost on that case.  It's also like your
phone bill.  I can call my Grandma in Germany or my Bro in Chicago at 7
cents a minute, but a call from Jeff City to Columbia costs almost 30
cents a minute.  That's because "inter" state is Federally regulated and
"intra" state is not.  Now if a State wants to regulate and tax them,
that's a different matter.

I think that the radio manufacturers want you to believe you are
responsible for that license, but I really don't think that you are,
unless you want to "volunteer" to fall under their jurisdiction.