[geeqie] Missing features: cropping images and filtering filenames

  • From: "R. Diez" <dmarc-noreply-outsider@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rdiezmail-temp2" for DMARC)
  • To: geeqie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2018 08:31:22 +0200

Hi there:

First of all, many thanks for Geeqie. It is hard to find a sane image viewer. 8-)

I recently tried to convince a "non-computer" person to use it, instead of the gThumb default, and I noticed the following shortcomings:

1) Geeqie cannot crop a picture. I mean, select a smaller area, save it as separate picture, and maybe in the process reduce it in size/resolution, so that it fits in an e-mail.

If you need more power, you can start Gimp, but 90 % of the time, that's what you actually need.

2) There is no quick filter for the file pane. I know that there is a search dialog, but it's too complicated.

Say you have a very long list of files like:

SAM_2268.JPG
SAM_2269.JPG
SAM_2270.JPG
SAM_2271.JPG
SAM_2272.JPG
SAM_2595.JPG
SAM_2596.JPG

Now say you have the SAM_2383.RAW counterpart file open on Gimp or Darktable. If you want to find the corresponding .JPG quickly in Geeqie, it would be nice to just type "238" on some quick filter text field at the top of the file list, in order to have the file list immediately filtered down to a few files.

Best regards,
  rdiez