[gecko-devel] Some thoughts on sqlfs, etc..

  • From: Aaron Conole <apconole@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gecko-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 08:33:34 -0800 (PST)

OK, I think I've gotten somewhat of a handle of the
way the system should interface.

sqlfsd, imho, should make IOCTL calls to the sqlfs to
register files and unregister files. Whenever a
request for a read is made on one of the files in that
filesystem, sqlfsd should be alerted to fetch the
contents via a character device, or by having the same
read mechanism in the kernel. The latter is actually
probably the worst thing to do, as it puts unwanted
bloat and security risks into the kernel. Therefore,
my proposal is that:

1) sqlfs registers /dev/sqlfsXX entries for any sqlfs
mounted filesystems.

2) sqlfsd should make ioctl calls to /dev/sqlfsXX and
should also be constantly read()ing the device for any
alerted requests to read.

3) if a request to read is encountered, the sqlfsd
should make any neccessary arrangements with the rest
of the system to deliver the proper content.

4) the content will be written back into /dev/sqlfsXX
and then the sqlfs driver can then return the proper
content for the file.

This isn't a full on spec (as you can see) but more of
a rough outline as to what the nitty gritty of the
system should look like. Any comments or thoughts are
definately welcome. I haven't looked through the
official docs yet, so if this clashes with something,
let me know. I'll probably read those sunday. :D

Aaron