[GreatBasinFoodCoop] NEVADA ORGANICS PROGRAM SAVED!!!

  • From: GBFC Info <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gbfc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2010 23:25:33 -0800

CONGRATULATIONS!!

We received word this afternoon that the the "Plants" division of the Nevada
Department of Agriculture was saved from being cut from our state budget.
"Plants" division contains a variety of departments including the ORGANIC
PROGRAM MANAGER POSITION!!!

Thank you to everybody who called our legislators, wrote letters and helped
to spread the word... TOGETHER, WE DID IT AGAIN!!!

Now, lets hold our ground (no pun intended:) and turn our attention towards
the *issue of Round-up Ready Alfalfa (RR Alfalfa) being planted in the state
of Nevada*.  This is being proposed on a federal level through the USDA.  *The
comment period was extended until MARCH 3...that's only 2 more days!!*
Please visit any of the links below to submit a comment to the USDA or sign
onto a national petition.

RR Alfalfa is being used as the test crop in the state of Nevada.  If it is
approved, it could be the gateway crop for other edible crops in our state
such as beets, carrots, and tomatoes.  It is already confirmed that there
would be no way to isolate the RR Alfalfa crop and that it would surely
cross-contaminate other organic crops, making them also Genetically
Engineered and no longer organic.  Read information from the USDA about RR
alfalfa
HERE<http://www.aphis.usda.gov/publications/biotechnology/content/printable_version/faq_alfalfa.pdf>
.

If you are interested in learning more about RR Alfalfa please read the LETTER
that the Nevada Organics Council sent in opposition to RR alfalfa
<http://www.greatbasinfood.coop/images/GBCFCNEWSLETTERSANDDOCUMENTS/members%20of%20the%20nevada%20organic%20advisory%20council%20has%20prepared%20a%20response%20to%20the%20afhis%20eis%20and%20recommendations.doc>in
our state OR visit the Cornucopia Institute link
HERE<http://www.cornucopia.org/2010/02/action-alertgenetically-modified-alfalfa-threatens-organic-agriculture/>.
If you click on the last link to the Cornucopia institute's site, you can
scroll to the end of the page and see where you can send physical letters.
You will also send your comments directly to the USDA on their online
feedback
form<http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#submitComment?R=0900006480a6b7a1>.
PROVIDE YOUR FEEDBACK, IT MATTERS!!

Here's another link where concerned citizens can file an opinion on GMO
alfalfa:

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/20100222/nfalert_ACTION_ALERT_Genetically_modified_alfalfa_threatens_organic_agriculture

AND here's another one, Just click here, or search google for other
organizations that have petitions for this:
http://act.credoaction.com/campaign/monsanto_alfalfa/?r_by=7943-1948741-riZSo6x&rc=mailto1

A fellow activist and co-op member mentioned today that it would help to
call Senator Harry Reid's office.  From this link you can email him or call
all four telephone numbers where he can be reached
http://reid.senate.gov/contact/

There are also form letters available at the co-op with more information on
the RR Alfalfa issue.

You guys are awesome!!  We CAN preserve the health and quality of our local
food and our environment, thank you for voicing your concerns.  :)

Sincerely,

The Great Basin Community Food Co-op - 542 1/2 Plumas St. - (775) 324-6133