[gate-copp] Follow-up GATE Community of Prosthetics Practice

  • From: Arjen Bergsma <a.bergsma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gate-copp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2015 14:30:16 +0200

Dear members of the Community of Prosthetic Practice,

It has been a while ago since the CoPP was launched on the 24th of June at
the World Conference in Lyon. As promised we would like to initiate a
follow-up to really start to move on with the community.

As Chapal Khasnabis already explained in Lyon, this CoPP is part of the
G.A.T.E. initiative of the WHO. We are currently establishing a Forum that
we hope is useful to share information and the progress of our community.
As soon as it is ready, you will be notified to obtain access. For the
short term, we made a mailing list (gate-copp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx), that can be
used for communication about this initiative. Because of privacy
regulations, we could not add people automatically, so *please register
yourselves via https://www.freelists.org/list/gate-copp
<https://www.freelists.org/list/gate-copp>*. Further communication will go
via this mailinglist.

So how do we propose to proceed? To realize the vision of access to
prosthetic care for amputees all around the world, the community needs
strong pillars and this is only possible with your commitment. It will take
time, but we believe that things could be changed. In order to start, we
think it is important to define the aim and objectives of the community.
After that, we can formulate a plan of action resulting in a concrete
project plan for the future.

To give it a start, we prepared a draft description of the aim and
objectives, based on the thoughts we have. This list is attached to this
email. In order to discuss this further, we would like to propose a
*telco *meeting
at *October 23rd at 15:00 GMT. *We realize that it is already next week,
but we would like to give it a try. Beside short introduction pitches of
everybody, we will discuss the draft aim and objectives, so please review
it on beforehand. Please let us know if you are interested in making this
idea reality, and if we can welcome you at the meeting.

We are looking forward to meet you on the 23rd of October to hear your
ideas and opinions.

Kind regards,

Nur Azah Hamzaid

Bram Sterke

Liezel Wegner

Anthony Rombach

Arjen Bergsma

Dear all,

Jon, Tjerk and Liezel, thanks for the first input!

Last Saturday, I was in London, where I discussed with Liezel about the
aim and objectives. The description of the aim that we had in mind is: *To
develop and provide a holistic approach to prosthetic rehabilitation and
service delivery for people with lower limb amputations who live in a rural
setting in developing countries, by 2021. *
If you have other suggestions, please let me know, so we can consider it.

I propose that Liezel and me elaborate a bit more on drafting a list of
objectives divided in a few phases, so we have some food for further
discussions with all of us. We will send these around as soon as possible.

Best regards,
Arjen

PS we had problems reading some of the email addresses, and we corrected a
few. If this is the first email you receive, please have a quick look at
the emails below.

Dear community of practice,

I agree that it is vital to ensure the sustainability of any project or
intervention, and to involve the stakeholders in the community that we will
(want to) target is important in doing so. However, we should clarify our
aim and objectives before we start discussing the details, because our aim
will direct our efforts.

*What is the main aim of the community of practice? *

I think the main aim (and subsequent objectives) should be guided by the
*need
or biggest challenge*. There is a lot of literature that can help us
with that, but which aspect specifically do we want to focus our energy on,
and how do we support (motivate) that?

Do we want to address the shortage of prosthetic staff manufacturing
prostheses, do we want to modify existing technology, do we want to address
the lack of rehabilitation that currently makes prosthetic fitting almost
impossible, or do we want to teach people to make their own prostheses from
local materials? What will have the biggest impact, and how will we measure
or evaluate the impact of our "intervention" or efforts?

Once we have clarified the main aim and objectives of this community of
practice, we can direct our ideas.

I am very excited that we are able to at least start a conversation
around these issues.

Kind regards,
Liezel Wegner

On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 1:34 PM, Jon Batzdorff <jon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

Hi Tjerk,
The four bullet points you present are great. One answer to all of them
is to involve the locals at all stages of the project, even in answering
these questions.
One possibility is to continue this discussion working with a specific
community that needs this kind of help. And then involve the key
stakeholders in our discussion. Tell them right in the beginning that our
ultimate plan is to make the outsiders unimportant. Then we get each
other's ideas and input. Outsider's as well as local's input. It gives us
information and builds trust and local ownership of the project.

Cheers,
Jon Batzdorff, CPO, FAAOP
Chairman, US ISPO
Director, ProsthetiKa
www.prosthetika.org

Sent from my iPhone

IMPORTANT WARNING: This email (and any attachments) is only intended for
the use of the person or entity to which it is addressed, and may contain
information that is privileged and confidential. You, the recipient, are
obligated to maintain it in a safe, secure and confidential manner.
Unauthorized redisclosure or failure to maintain confidentiality may
subject you to federal and state penalties. If you are not the recipient,
please immediately notify us by return email, and delete this message from
your computer.

On Jun 29, 2015, at 2:33 AM, Ruiter, T. de <T.Ruiter@xxxxxx> wrote:

Dear all,

Again thanks for the special, inspiring session in Lyon.

We started many projects, but have not finished any of them. So my main
problem is to keep projects going on:

· How can we make locals be the owner of their own problem?

· How can we help them without getting the responsibility away
from them?

· How can we help them sustain their growing standards, and
keep them growing for the next generations?

· In other words: how can we make ourselves unimportant?

With kind regards,

Tjerk de Ruiter, MD, physiatrist
President ISPO the Netherlands
<image001.jpg>