[gameprogrammer] Re: why Always C++

  • From: Scott Harper <lareon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2007 11:19:37 -0600

This is very true. I've got a project on the backburner I'm working on using OpenGL and Java, complete with controller (gamepad) input capability. You're really not stuck with C++ at all. (Though when I have to use something other than Java, I prefer C++, just because the objects really do it for me. I like objects. ^_^ But I can just as easily see how you wouldn't need them because you could simply make the same functionality with a few structs and some well-placed/named functions.

Just do what you like and have fun! ^_^

-- Scott

On Sep 8, 2007, at 6:03 AM, kuon wrote:

In our project (a big game) we use 100% plain C.

For the UI we have a lua layer, but all the 3D, network... are 100% in C.

For me C++ is ugly and doesn't bring anything needed, but it's a personal taste, hopefully, I was able to make the whole project in C.

But you should really code in what you like. If you use OpenGL, there are language bindings in a lot of different languages.

My cent.
--
Kuon

"Don't press that button."