[gameprogrammer] Re: sqlite example program

  • From: Ethan Grammatikidis <eekee57@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 12:31:24 +0100

On 22 May 2010, at 06:56, Chris Nystrom wrote:

SQLite seems to be far more trouble to use than simply creating
arrays. I assume that as you scale up though, it is important for
performance to have an actual database instead of internal arrays of
data. Is there a rule of thumb about when you should use a database?
Or is there some other reason to use SQL besides performance with
large systems?

I've just begin a very long project to gather data on just this sort of question, just when where and how is the right way to use each available technology. An inevitable side effect will be finding out if some technologies are worth anything at all.

As to SQL itself I haven't anything definite yet, just an impression that for a straightforward key:value mapping it may not be worth using at all. Filesystems provide key:value as name:file, and am I right in thinking that file access is generally faster than database access? Last I heard (about a year ago) MySQL was much higher performance than SQLite, and I don't think MySQL can't match speed with a filesystem lookup. (How can it, when it uses the filesystem as a backend anyway?)

--
Simplicity does not precede complexity, but follows it. -- Alan Perlis