[gameprogrammer] Re: mapping numbers to colors

  • From: Jake The Snake Briggs <jacob_briggs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 11:06:17 +1300

Binary partition of the colour space. Assign your colors a number, say 0
through 100. 1 group would yeild the colour at position 0. 3 groups
would be 25,50 and 75. 4 would be 0,25,50,100, 5 would be
0,25,50,75,100. Or you could do it with percentage's. 1 group would be
1/1 with would be the colour referenced by 100. 3 groups would be 1/3,
the colours would be 33,66 and 100. 5 groups would be 1/5, 20,40,60,80,100.

I am sure there is a better way, maybe working directly with the r,g,b
values, but i am sure you get the idea of what i am talking about.

If each r,g,b  value can be between 0 and 255, you could just partition
each of those spaces. like 3 groups would yeild the colours
(85,85,85),(127,127,127) and (212,212,212).
If this makes no sence, just ignore my brain dump....