[gameprogrammer] Re: flight simulation camera

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:40:31 +0200

On Thursday 27 September 2007, Julien Breton wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Do you know where I can find an example of a flight simulation
> camera ?

What do you mean, exactly?

From what I've seen, the basic logic of how the camera works in
simulators (flight, racing etc) is that it's simply locked to the
vehicle, ie it sits where the pilot/driver would be, looking straight
ahead.

In racing simulators, it's common to add minor adjustments to the
position and view angle of the camera, to hint about the G-forces
that are "lost in transmission". (Lost, unless you're using a moving
platform, that is.) I suppose you could do that in a flight simulator
too, but I can't remember seeing that. X-Plane has a different
solution: Blackout and redout is simulated by fading the view to
black and red respectively. Simple and effective. (Not very not
relevant to racing though, as you'd normally never get that kind of
G-forces on the vertical axis in a car for extended periods of time.)

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |
|     http://eel.olofson.net - Real time scripting         |