[gameprogrammer] Re: Slightly offtopic: SQL Command

  • From: Jake Briggs <jakbri@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 14:27:01 +1300

I should probably point out that you can get unique id's in the form of GUIIDs, but these are not integers :(

Jake Briggs wrote:

Which database? Serial is a sqlserver thing isn't it? You can't reliably do this sort of thing on sql server 2003 (I think that's the right version). My solution was convoluted and annoying, involving a dummy table to simulate a sequence (like a sequence from postgres) and making sure to keep the transaction atomic.

Kevin Jenkins wrote:
If I use the SQL command INSERT to insert a row into a table which has a primary key with the serial property, to automatically generate a per-row unique ID, how do I get the ID of the thing I just inserted? Should I immediately query for the newest ID?

-- Jacob Briggs Systems Engineer

Core Technology Limited
Level 1, NZX Centre
11 Cable Street
Wellington
Phone +64 4 801 2252

--

object doAnythingConceivable(string whatToDo, object whatToDoItWith) { .....