[gameprogrammer] OpenGL Colours and Alpha

  • From: Stephen Smith <gp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 17:08:20 +0000

Hi all,

I'm trying to implement the alpha value in my colours when drawing my OpenGL scene. I've changed all my colour commands to "glColor4f", and have the fourth value as 0.1, except for lasers and explosions where I have to set to 1. My intention is that these should be bright compared to everything else. However, there doesn't seem to be any difference. Can anyone tell me why? Do i need "enable" alpha values or something? (BTW, I'm using Java and JOGL, but since it's a direct mapping to OpenGL it should be a non-Java specific answer).

Thanks in advance,

Steve Smith