[gameprogrammer] Re: Looking for OpenGL syntax highlighting for Visual Studio C++ .NET

  • From: Samuel Batista <coder4hire@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 22:37:33 +0000

Hey Xavier,

The best thing for syntax highlighting for Visual Studio is definitely Visual Assist. I started using it a year ago and can't program without it. It highlights functions, #defines, local variables, and a lot more. And you can customize the colors.

Check it at:

http://www.wholetomato.com/

Peace,
Sam Batista

Xavier Ho wrote:
Hey Paulo,

Yeah, "keywords" is a bad wording. However, if my editor can distinguish defined functions from, well, typos or #defines, that would be really helpful. It's not a necessity, of course, but it would catch me many things I wouldn't have noticed until compiling.

I didn't mean GLSL, and I've found nVidia's FxComposor really good with them, so I'm okay on that for now. =]

Cheers,
Xav

On Thu, Dec 3, 2009 at 5:47 AM, Paulo Pinto <pjmlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:pjmlp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Keywords?

    OpenGL is a set of C functions, there are no keywords. As such I
    never thought about coloring them.

    Or do you mean GLSL? For that I use shader editors like the ATI
    Monkey or Netbeans with the GLSL
    plugins.

    --
    Paulo

    On Wed, Dec 2, 2009 at 8:09 PM, Xavier Ho <contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx
    <mailto:contact@xxxxxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

        [The messasge below was also posted onto DLF mailling list, so
        if you happen to see both, I apologise.]

        Hello there,

        I've been googling and haven't come across anything that
        supports full syntax highlighting for OpenGL
        keywords/definitions. Right now, I just have a usertype.dat
        that I created to tell VS C++ what words to be coloured - but
        they can only be one colour. It's good enough, but can be
        better. Maybe some kind of auto-completion add-on? I'm
        wondering if anyone out there has been annoyed enough to
        discover/create a better alternative.

        My current solution is here:[
        http://xavierho.com/Coding/usertype.dat ], and I'm after a
        better solution, if it exists.

        What kind of editor do you use for OpenGL programming? Or are
        you okay with no colouring for OpenGL keywords?

        Improvisations/Ideas welcome.

        Cheers,

        Ching-Yun Xavier Ho, Technical Artist

        Contact Information