[gameprogrammer] Innovation and creativity. Getting OT?

  • From: Alexander Whaley <awhaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 07:24:44 +0200

_This is an abbreviation of my thoughts. If it is off topic let me know
and we can continue on a private, direct discussion. I am thinking of
ways to inclue these thoughts in my game design, so please feel free to
poke holes in my theories (constructively please). AT the end are my
thoughts on how to incorporate these theories into a game._
Interesting that the thread turned to war. While innovation and
creativity are always around, I believe that wars are a major factor in
Humankind's development. However, we must define the concepts involved
carefully. Usually, the most innovation comes from wars between 2
closely matched groups. Then there is a dealock and each side will be
desparate to find a new trick. Also, each side must have a fair amount
of resources to develop the ideas. The conflict in the middle east is
not a good example as there is not really a fully determined frontline.
At least one side is made up of many small groups who have stagnated in
their tactics. Their resources, while in some cases considerable, are
not entirely dedicated to a war effort against a single opponent. They
also have found a single, potent weapon that is cheap enough (in their
minds) to be used on a "large" scale (ie suicide bombers).

If you compare this to say, WW1, WW2 or even the cold war, you can see
thta there is a small difference. There entire nations were involved.
For example, in WW2, virtually the entire world's economy was geared for
the war. AT the beginning the UK, France (etc) were on the "losing" side
and were desparate to find the upper hand. Thus Radar was developed.
Code breaking machines were developed. Search lights (which have
translated into analytical chemistry intrumentation) were improved.
Airplanes (eg spitfire) were redesigned. The military were given almost
a free reign in their spending (after all the countries had nothing to
lose) and almost any idea could be funded. Once the tide started
turning, Germany (etc) became desparate and they also had virtually free
reign over their spending. We got several good developments such as the
jet engine and rockets. At a horrific human cost a lot of medical
advances were developed.

All of these things could and probably would have been developed without
a war, but the advances would have been slower. Some things may never
have been established as the inventors could never have found
"volunteers" for some tests. Also, let's keep in mind that in many
countries, the military has a very large proportion of the tax money
allocated to it. They therefore have a large stake in the scientific
advances.

_
So to go back to game programming. I am thinking of including a "boost"
in military research during large scale conflicts. (to go back to the
game I use for comparisons) In CIV 3, you get the chance to "mobilise"
your entire civilisation in times of war. That would be the trigger for
such a boost. Once the war is finished, then I would forsee that some
linked techs (non-military but somewhat based on military techs) would
also have a reduced development cost.

On the other hand, some advances would have a "human horror" cost, This
would mean that the country to develop these would get a boost in their
science, but if they loose the war, they will be penalised in their
diplomacy/ trade. Also, to prevent cheaters (ok like me), I would turn
off saving the game during that period so that players really have to
think of whether it is worth the gamble. (eg very high reward and very
high risk).
_

--
This message is intended for the addressee only and is confidential and
the copying thereof is prohibited. The above information may

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: awhaley.vcf