[gameprogrammer] Re: How to save games?

  • From: "Dominic McDonnell" <telarau@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 13:50:27 +1000

1: I agree completely. I think that women are far more attractive wearing good clothes than bikini suits. I don't have a problem with 'sexy', but you can have sexy females without them being half naked (or skin tight clothing). And really, the 'look how many steriods I have taken' look is repulsive. (For an example of what I think is good style, take a look at the film Willow).

2: I agree to a point. I think that the stories that they are using are over used, however wholesale rejection is not necessary. Keep about 20%, throw away the rest.

3: No way. I don't play games where I am not the good guy. I really hate the way that current films, litriture, and games think that by demeaning the main character they are making a good story. Take for instance warcraft. Warcraft 2 was brilliant, had a great story, and felt solid (though it could have done with a little better game play). Warcraft 3 took a great product and sullied the good side, made the bad side a little more bearable, and added two new not very attractive sides (and still left it with the same gameplay).
I think that epic is desirable, but it doesn't necessarily make a story epic by saving the world etc. What makes a story epic is the difficulty in doing the assigned task, even if it is mundane (but not too mundane).

4: I completely agree, brick bat is still fun, a lot of these flashy new games aren't. However you can make brickbat more fun by adding great graphics, but the foundation still has to be there.

5: Again I agree. If I am playing a game it adds to the atmosphere if all the story is given as I procede through the game. The atmosphere is ruined if it suddenly cuts to a film.

The two best non story games I have played in my opinion are Age of Empires 2, and counter strike: condition zero (unfortunately I can't play over the internet and I have only one computer that can run cs:cz on my lan, so I haven't had the pleasure of playing other people, and that opinion is based purely on playing bots. However, AoE2 multiplayer rocks!) The main features are rock solid gameplay, and great AI. These are very replayable.
And as for storyline base games I think the quest for glory series, and warcraft 2 are the best I've played. The main factors are great story, high imersion, and a very graduated diffuculty (really easy to get into but every step up was a bigger challange but not impossible). Their gameplay also didn't let everything else down. However only a very small amount of replayability. There are different story paths to follow, but basically play once then move on.

So I think the things that make a game good are different for each game, depending on the design of the game. One thing that all good games have, is that they do most things well, and some things really well.

Dominic McDonnell

On Wed, 14 Sep 2005 18:04:48 -0500, Bob Pendleton <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Not how to do a save game, but how to save the game industry from itself. This is a very interesting commentary on the current state of the game industry.

http://www.games.net/features/104208.shtml

Try to keep the flames down as low as possible and remember not to take
flames personally.

                Bob Pendleton