[gameprogrammer] Re: Fixed Rate Logic

  • From: David Olofson <david@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 01:17:38 +0100

On Thursday 07 December 2006 00:43, Alan Wolfe wrote:
> for processing the queue do you just go until the first item is >
> current time and then you render a scene?

That's the idea. (Same deal as with my "normal" fixed frame rate logic
solutions, without priority queues.)

> just curious cause if something wanted to be put on the queue 1ms
> from "now" it seems like the game may never get caught up enough to
> render a scene, it'd just keep updating that 1ms update.

Why would that happen? Events to be processed later than "now" will
just be left alone, regardless of when they were inserted.

Basically, the priority queue is just a more scalable and more optimal
implementation of the old school "check all live objects every frame"
approach I use in Fixed Rate Pig and Kobo Deluxe (which got that
logic directly from XKobo.) Enqueue an event, or change a
timer/counter somewhere. Same thing; it just means someone will
somehow discover that it's time to do something when it's time to do
it. :-)

.-------  http://olofson.net - Games, SDL examples  -------.
|        http://zeespace.net - 2.5D rendering engine       |
|       http://audiality.org - Music/audio engine          |