[gameprogrammer] Re: Fast development over multiple platforms,which language?

  • From: Scott Harper <lareon@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 13:36:55 -0700

The nice thing for Windows users is that, I'm pretty sure the JRE (Java
Runtime Environment) that you download and run from Sun's website is
NOT developed by Microsoft.  I'm almost certain that it's made and
maintained by Sun, as I think MS dropped all Java development after
their lawsuit from Sun.  I run Java on my Windows box at home, and
things run fine for it.  I've run several of the JOGL demos, and they
run just swimmingly. ^_^  There was even a nifty Quake 3 demo running
around somewhere that somebody wrote in Java which loaded a level and
you could run around shooting each other.  Sure it wasn't EXACTLY
quake, but it was fun.

Last I checked, Java3D was labeled as a very intuitive, nice interface
for 3D rendering, but still a little impractical for games purposes,
since you just send it objects to render in a hierarchy, and tell it
kind of what rules to render with, and it does that all on its own,
making it very difficult to use speed-enhancing techniques like
visibility culling, etc...  I bet it could still be done.  JOGL is my
personal recommendation, but that's what I'm working with, so take it
with a grain of salt. ^_^

Good luck, and if you have any questions, let me know!

Actually, somewhere I wrote some tutorial-commented code for JOGL
projects, on how to get them running...  I should resurrect that and
put it up on the Wiki!

--Scott