[gameprogrammer] DirectX video ram management

  • From: "Alan Wolfe" <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 19:56:20 -0800

Hey!

I'm working on a map editor in a game I'm making.  The map is
potentially made up of alot of images so I'm trying to figure out a
way to show the map maker how much video memory they are using so they
can keep it to a sane level (or so we can known minimum specs at least
etc).

I'm currently using D3DXCreateTextureFromFile to create a
IDirect3DTexture9 structure to hold an image.

I noticed by calling GetLevelDesc you can get the width and height and
format so I guess you could calculate how much memory an image is
using by that, but there are also fields for MultiSampleQuality and
MultiSampleType and I'm not sure how those factor in.

Do i have to use these fields to calculate all these things if I want
to make a VRAM meter? Or is there another way to get a ballpark kind
of figure?

Or, is there a better way to manage vram on pc's these days then going
about it the way i am? hehe

Thanks for any information!
Alan