[gameprogrammer] Defining "human" (was OTP: saving democracy)

  • From: grant hallman <unilogic@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 May 2010 03:28:56 -0400

Can genes even define "Human"? Is a perfect computer sim of a human mind, a human person? Why, or why not?

Ok, that's my OTP quota for the day...

cheers - grant

At 09:06 AM 4/30/2010 -0700, you wrote:
Ha ha. Well, I agree with you. Laws with too much specificity are bound to fail in their job.

Jonny D

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 8:56 AM, Bob Pendleton <<mailto:bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote: On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 10:21 AM, Jonathan Dearborn <<mailto:grimfang4@xxxxxxxxx>grimfang4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> From <http://www.genome.gov/15515096>http://www.genome.gov/15515096 :
> "The consortium found that the chimp and human genomes are very similar and > encode very similar proteins. The DNA sequence that can be directly compared > between the two genomes is almost 99 percent identical. When DNA insertions
> and deletions are taken into account, humans and chimps still share 96
> percent of their sequence."
> lol
> Anyhow, this sounds too much like a 4chan plot...
> Jonny D

Yeah, I knew that when I wrote it. I made it that broad because we are
constantly learning more about the genetic differences between
individuals. Any genetically based test for humanity that can include
people with aneuploidy is likely to have to include chimps and
bonobos. At the genetic level there is an awful lot of leeway on what
is and what is not a human being.

If you try to make a test like that too narrow you wind up excluding
people that you and I would call human if we saw them. You also
exclude people with "too many" accumulated genetic variations.
Seriously, when even ADHD has been tied to between 2 and 13 different
genetic variations any genetic test for humanity is going to exclude
living human beings. If that means we have to grant human rights to
Chimps to ensure human rights for folks with all the aneuploidy
related disorders I'm willing to do it.

Bob Pendleton