[gameprogrammer] Re: Cg

  • From: Sami Näätänen <sami.naatanen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 22:03:23 +0000

You might want to look about http://www.cgshaders.org/

> What's Gentoo? I've never heard of that.

Linux distribution tailored to developers in mind (Although nowadays
there are more non developers using it than developers).

The most important features are...

Automatic dependency tracking and installation of packages

System dependency customization through USE flag system where you can
deside, which features should be used in the packages you install.

Example: If the package you want to install has optional support for
Gnome, KDE, GTK etc you can deside which ones should be included in the
version you install. This way the bloatness of normal Linux
distributions is history. The only drawback is that everything is
compiled from sources. The most popular packages are though available
as precompiled versions, but in quite modern machine the compilation
only hurts some massive packages. The compilation runs at the
background nicely so that isn't problem for me, but the installation of
those big packages takes time so if I have hurry to get the package
then I have to use the binary packages or wait. I haven't had so hurry
that I would have installed a binary package (except binary only
packages like unreal tournament 2004 demo) so that really isn't a
problem for me. :)

More or less usefull things are the possibility to set the compilation
flags for the packages, but most people over optimize and simply shoot
themselves in the leg by doing that. The compile flags feature is most
usefull when one want's to debug software that requires many additional
libraries etc, because one can compile those with debug support and
thus can confirm that the bug really is in their code and not in the
way the code calls the additional library. And one can this way also
help the development of the additional libraries too. :)