[gameprogrammer] Re: C++ project

  • From: Alan Wolfe <alan.wolfe@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2009 09:36:45 -0800

another thing you could do is create a mandlebrot set viewer.  It isn't a
game but it's an interesting project.

check this link (ignore the music LOL)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEw8xpb1aRA

if you dont know much about fractals...

the mandlebrot set is a "fractal" which is something that is made up of
miniature peices of itself and has infinite detail no matter how far you
zoom into it.

It's created via a mathematical function that determines the color of pixels
based on their position.

If you made an app where it showed the thing zoomed out and you could drag
select a window to zoom into it (or maybe clicked on a point to zoom in),
that would be a pretty neat project as well.

I made something like that in school as well and it was fun / challenging
but doable.

fractals are pretty cool

if you are interested in this stuff, an IFS viewer might also be fun to
write.  Basically you describe fractals and then it creates them...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iterated_function_system  <--- more info on
IFS's