[gameprogrammer] Re: Best game dev colleges

  • From: "Harrington, Timothy" <tharrington@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2008 17:07:31 -0600

I may be biased… with that said. I have worked for several colleges in
curriculum development and instruction relating to game design and development
and including art, design, programming, and production management. Cogswell
College, Sunnyvale, CA has a good generalist program for technical artists and
scripting; Savannah College of Art and Design has a component of Game Design in
the Computer Arts department; The Art Institutes has a very good Game Art and
Design program and an emerging program on technical development; University of
Advanced Technology, AZ also has a good technical development program for games
as does Full Sail, FL. DigiPen is one of the best hard core programs and
focuses on programming at a very in-depth level. They are/were supported by
Nintendo and Microsoft and have a well known reputation. Then you can also look
at other schools for transitional degrees, masters degrees and terminal degrees
in game and interaction media. Include in your search, MIT, Bowling Green, and
University of Georgia

My bias… Teaching for DeVry University, I think our program (Game & Simulation
Programming) has a lot to offer people wanting to be programmers and developers
in either the game or the sim industries. The program is a B. Sci. degree and
focuses on programming as well as development. There is an emphasis on
individual as well as group development projects which focus on game theory,
game and sim product design, game play, and  element programming from
individual mechanics to systems integration and includes level design, engine
programming, and 2D/3D integration.

A Caveat, there are a lot of programs offered from diplomas, tracks, and
certificates to full degrees. Research the colleges you are interested in
attending first, then research the degree programs and the specializations that
may be available. A worthy computer science degree is as valuable (and maybe
more so for some companies) as an industry specific or niche degree. You have
to find the right fit for you. DeVry’s program can be completed in 3 years, is
fully accredited, and prepares you for pursuing a masters degree, as well as
entry level positions in the field, if that is your desire.  More and more
companies are seeking candidates with degrees and a greater number of companies
are being started by graduates from colleges who met while attending school and
decided to form a start-up. As the industry and economy change, competition
will also change. Right now graduates are faced with competing against seasoned
professionals and unemployed veterans. So the more tools and better arsenal you
have the more fun you will have playing!

Good luck

Tim J. Harrington

Assistant Professor/Chair

Game & Simulation Programming