[gameprogrammer] Re: Application Browser Status

  • From: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: gameprogrammer@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 03:57:44 -0500

On 9/6/05, Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> You have rejected the idea of an interpreted / bytecode compiled
> language executing on the client instead of sending all low-level
> commands over the net?

Yes. I figure everyone else is doing that. I envision a DOIP application,
except at a browser level instead of a desktop or thin client level.

 The
> idea of communicating/animating over the net just does not appeal to
> me ... even in ten years when "everybody" has 100mbit network there
> will be lag ..

So they say. I wanted to find out for myself. Nothing like coding it up for
yourself and see what it can do. So far I believe my results to be
encouraging. I go to the local wifi coffeee shop to test in the wild.

Obviously a network app will not be as fast as a local app, but I wanted to
see what it could do. Maybe it can be good enough for most applications?

For example the web does not perform as well as local applications, but I
believe web based e-mail programs are taking significant market share from
local e-mail programs, because (in this case) the advantages of a server
based architecture outwiegh the advantages of local programming.

If a better programming and application environment were available for
Internet applications than the web, then perhaps this trend could be
broadened to other applications? So far I believe that the jury is still
out, since no good internet programming and application environment exists
such that I envision.

Chris

--
E-Mail: Chris Nystrom <cnystrom@xxxxxxxxx>