[fvlc-l] FW: Filters on searches

  • From: Naomi Stuesser <Naomi.Stuesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "fvlc-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <fvlc-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 13:22:44 -0600

Hi all,

We block some sites on our campuses which prompted the emailed comment below
and made me curious as to what policies/procedures were being used by other
FVLC libraries...  You can reply to me and not the whole list.  Also, hope you
all enjoy the holiday weekend :)

'Have any of you heard, possibly through your librarians, that students are
becoming frustrated with the filters that we have on our campus computers when
conducting research on Internet sites?  Recently we have had students who were
blocked while trying to access the KKK website for a research paper on racism,
one who was blocked from searching numerous LGBT sites while conducting
research for a diversity paper, and one who was trying to access several
pharmaceutical sites for a pharmacology paper.'

Naomi Stuesser / Librarian
Rasmussen College - Appleton, WI Campus
Office: 920-750-5921
naomi.stuesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:naomi.stuesser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Tutoring Team: 920-931-2621, schedule and more information online at
http://tinyurl.com/Appletontutor
www.Rasmussen.edu<http://www.rasmussen.edu/>

Connect with Rasmussen College Libraries and Learning Centers:
FACEBOOK<http://www.facebook.com/rasmussencollege>
TWITTER<http://twitter.com/LLCRASMUSSEN>

Confidentiality.
This electronic transmission is strictly confidential to the sender and
intended solely for the addressee. It may contain information which is covered
by legal, professional or other privilege. If you are not the intended
addressee, or someone authorized by the intended addressee to receive
transmissions on behalf of the addressee, you must not retain, disclose in any
form, copy or take any action in reliance on this transmission. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender as soon as
possible and destroy this message.