[fsug-calicut] Re: call for action

  • From: Ajith Kumar <ajith@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: fsug-calicut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jul 2002 19:41:32 +0530

Dear Antony,

Robinson's idea is good but someone has to do the work. We
have demonstrated that using GNU/Linux you can have a much better system
for
schools and also save on Hardware costs.

At NSC, We have done further work on it and now anyone who know how to
install linux can make Terminal Server also.
Just put the CD and run a shell script.
What we need is people to go to schools and colleges to demonstrate it.
If there is anyone willing to do that we can do the necessary support.

ajith

> >must try to get some help from goverment or any other such
> >organizations. According to the new IT policy of the
> govement Govt
> >is giving comp education in  schools. ie they will be
> introduced
> >to purely commercial products like MS windows etc. The
> softwares
> >required will be purchased at higher rates ( or they
> will use
> >pirated
> >   ones ?      i don't know).
> >
> >        In such a situation if we are able to introduce the
> >FS products like GLUE CD to the mass media or the Govt
> it  will be
> >a great achievement. And in my opinion learning at a command
> >prompt will be  more effective than in a virtual world of
> >'windows'. For developing child it may creates an
> abstraction
> >layer b/w the h/w and the user. Is that good ? well IMHO
> that's
> >not good.
> >
> >       Some malayam dailes like manorama ( about others
> >i've no idea) gives some importance to IT  and such
> issues. They
> >have a weekly supplyment for science/comp related
> issues. What if
> >we try to get a regular column ? Once or twice I
> contacted them
> >for the purpose but there was no response at all. But a
> combined
> >aproach may change things.
> >
> >   --regards
> >     bkb