[fsf60k] Re: water almost everywhere

  • From: michael cipoletti <ikecip@xxxxxxx>
  • To: fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Jan 2011 22:43:50 -0500

Dick-
thanks for adding the additional information.
Andrew has made it clear that he will not ask for a dime until he has a full
report complete that we will be able to look over.
The piping was scheduled to start being delivered at some point during this
coming week.
The trenches for the piping will be one meter deep and each resident of the 2
communities will be assigned 50 meters to dig additionally the trenches will be
filled with sand brought in from neighboring communities. the trenches will be
laid out and dug beginning the end of this week so in actuality the pipe will
be installed and will be finished and connected at the end of the project.
tamper proof meters have been purchased and the mayor will have an answer on
how much money he will receive for phase two in february.
jorge and bill if you have questions please let me know i might know the answer.
if i do not i will ask them on my upcoming trip. andrew expects to have a
complete project scope/cost done within the next couple weeks and will then
conference with us via skype.
talk soon
mc

On Jan 7, 2011, at 5:03 PM, richard wiltamuth wrote:

> [...]
> for the to-be-dug trenches and water meters for homes. Today, Mike indicated
> that Andrew Longley, the professional hydrologist overseeing the project,
> expects to have a specific proposal by the end of this month and for work to
> begin next month. Once Andrew's report is digested, Friends' funds can be
> used to help make the project happen. The arsenic level in the Nuevo well
> has been determined to be 40 parts per billion; the allowable level is 10.
> In phase 1, water from the well will be used for bathing, watering gardens
> and possibly for animals to consume. Water also would be filtered to lower
> arsenic levels for human consumption. Phase 2 involves piping arsenic-free
> water from a mountainside spring. The well's pump could be powered by an
> electrical line or by solar panels. Residents will dig the trenches as part
> of their contribution.
> Shari Kornblatt will be leading a trip to Nicaragua soon. Her aim is to
> revive the literacy program at Nuevo, which had suffered because of a change
> in personnel,  and to establish scholarships so that Nuevo students can
> attend secondary school---only one has so far. Shari also wants Leon
> University students to help with tutoring.
> Mary McNamara and Amelie Alford, graduate students in library science at
> C.W. Post, disseminated a four-page document on their proposed media center
> for Chacraseca. More experts are interested in the project, they said, as
> they seek recognition of their group as a formal campus organization. The
> estimated startup cost is $35,000 with an annual cost of $2,000 to keep the
> library running. Grants are being applied for, especially to obtain
> computers.
> Pete White reported that the holiday postcard fundraiser made a profit of
> about $4,200, some of which is earmarked by the donors for specific projects
> such as buying farm animals.
> Getting money to Nicaragua in a safe and accountable way continues to elude
> us, Pete reported. Setting up an account at the Citibank office in Leon to
> allow transfers from the United States is a possibility.
> Suni Solar, a company in Managua that set up the solar installation for the
> community center in Nuevo, is proposing to build units for individual homes
> for about $43 each. Mike has met with Suni engineer Douglas Gonzalez and
> will see him again soon. They would like to install units in two homes to
> see how folks like them. A solar array might mean not having to buy solar
> light bulbs, a second generation of which will be field tested this month in
> Nicaragua.
> A waiver form prepared by a lawyer has been approved. The form may be
> emailed as an attachment to anyone who has a connection with Friends in an
> effort to protect the group from lawsuits that could drain our coffers.
>

> ***
> You can unsubscribe from this list by sending an email to

***