[fsf60k] Re: table

  • From: Peter White <pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: craft155@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 09:33:38 -0400

Hi Everyone,

I hope we have good weather for Cow Harbor Day this Sunday. As most of you
know, this is a big end of summer Northport outdoor festival day, with
parade and food, etc. But for us, we'll have a table or two set up in
Npt.Village Park from noon til five p.m. We will be trying to solicit
donations and members, mingling, schmoozing, handing out literature (I will
have 300 flyers...enough?), explaining, being ambassadors for our org. and
the poor, and selling the Nicaraguan items we purchased on our June trip
plus some of the left over items from last year's trip/Cow Harbor Day.
Everything we make Sunday will be doubled, as we still have several thousand
dollars to go in order to get the $12000 grant from SG Foundation to build
the ten houses in Nica.

So, with that said, Joanne and Millie said they can staff the table in the
early hours, I'm assuming meaning from noon til mid way through? I can be
there all or most of the whole time. Kate usually arrives after the parade,
maybe 1-something. We could certainly use more coverage. Fran is out of
town, she's usually a regular. So if any others can come, please do so. it's
actually fun, mingling, greeting people and explaining our work to those
interested folks. Many alumni stop by. Some  years we do poorly, like $120;
other years much better, like $1500. So please help if you can. We are
usually situated down the lane in the park that faces the village dock.

Joanne, let me know where the table can be located and I'll pick it up.
Probably Sat.. late afternoon. I'll bring it to Millies back porch along
with the box of stuff I have from last year, our sign, another table, a roll
of duct tape, our money jar, the flyers, and the three new posterboards I
made which show only 4 enlarged photos each, most of which are from our JUne
trip. Nice shots, big sized 11X17, with enlarged captions, easier to see
from a distance, and read. I'll need to pick up the items for sale too,
unless you are bringing them sunday Noon.

Millie, I hope it is alright for me to do all this and prepare all on your
back porch late Sat. aFternoon. Let me know. If you have company I wouldn't
want to be in the way. I"m thinking of before diinnertime, before dark, not
too late. This way, with everything we need in place on SAt., I can walk it
all over to our spot in the park on Sun, between 10 and 11 a.m. I could use
some help then, so someone please volunteer. Last year I did it mostly
myself, but some kids from SF60K helped, so all done in one trip from
MIllies to the park.

I may make up a small flyer on my swim. I got a pledge from my union of
$250, better than nothing, considering it'll be matched. The UTN pres. also
said she's sending a donation from her personally. She also allowed a blurb
I wrote to go to 700 teachers throughout the district. Basically, one day
next week, I'll be swimming from Centerport BEach to Sand City, about 2.1
miles for pledges. If you know anyone who'll pledge, let them know. I've
been swimming all summer, but usually not 2 mi., usually more like 1/2 - 3/4
of a mile, so it'll be a challenge. My daughter may accompany me by kayak
for safety so no jetskiers or boaters come too close. I'll wear a wetsuit as
the water temps have plunged a few degrees in recent nights. I'll have the
flyers for swim to hand out on CHD also.

Please come and help out Sunday, and put your thinking caps on about how to
raise the final $3500 or so we need to complete our end of the SG Foundation
housing grant. Then it's on to the park project....

Pete W.