[fsf60k] save the casa!

  • From: "Wiltamuth, Dick" <Dick.Wiltamuth@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2007 16:29:58 -0500

dear friends,
in case you missed it, a story in saturday's ny times long island
section pointed out the fragile condition of la casa comunal in
farmingdale. the storefront, which has helped hundreds of hispanics over
the years, may be closed by the end of june. it provides various
services including computer lessons, immigration advice, clothing and
food. funding for farmingdale citizens for viable solutions has been a
perpetual problem, as religious and governmental agencies have failed to
provide adequate support. the organizaton has been working hard to
secure dependable funding with only limited success.
why should we in northport and huntington care? members of students for
60,000 have learned much about the plight of day laborers in the past
three years in traveling to farmingdale. groups have been visiting them
weekly to socialize and teach english. this is virtually the only
contact our students have with immigrants, and both groups have gained
much. it has been said that we know much more about people in our corner
of nicaragua than about needy folks in our backyard. janet liotta and
others in her group came to one of our meetings to discuss the group.
the story notes that students recently provided $2,800, and this is the
only cash casa now has. our group currently has little in the treasury,
but perhaps we as individuals can open our checkbooks in gratitude for
all that the folks in farmingdale have offered to our students in
northport. to date, we have done little to support local organizations,
so this is an opportunity to have an impact.
if you are able, please write a check to fcvs inc. and send in care of
lillian griffin, 32 jerome dr., farmingdale, ny 11735. if you have a
question or suggestion, e-mail janet at janetliotta@xxxxxxxxxxxx