[fsf60k] Re: jentury 21

  • From: "Michael AR Cipoletti" <ikecip@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <fsf60k@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 12:54:29 -0400

Hello everyone-

I am preparing to depart for Nicaragua on Thursday and wanted to just take a
moment to reply to this e-mail.

First off the news on the website is very exciting. I feel that it is
essential to have a web presence in order to grow and develop as an
organization. Being able to direct potential donors to a website makes the
task of fundraising much easier. Further, having an option to donate online
would be beneficial as well. We are currently set up to receive donations
online so a link to the page makes sense.

had a great deal of additional work to do the banking for all the trips
however the monies raised are going toward projects that fall squarely
underneath the Friends umbrella. By my count by the end of this upcoming
trip 16 houses will have been built in Chac. one in Nuevo in addition to a
school, house renovations in Nuevo, biointensive gardens and the ongoing
water project. The goal of Friends as I understood it was to provide a means
for alumni of SF60K and members of the community at large to continue the
meaningful work that they began at Northport High School some 20 years ago.
I see the work being done as fulfilling that goal and growing and evolving
into a project impacting hundreds of young people in the United States and
many more in Nicaragua. I realize that I do not attend meetings due to the
fact that I live in Boston but I am in regular contact with Peter and a
number of other active members of the organization and do everything in my
power to ensure that the work being done is in the best interest of Friends,
Students, the university students I bring with me, and most importantly the
people that we are working with and for Nicaraguan. The groups I work with
will continue to work hard for Nicaragua, and for local projects in their
respective communities, but in my opinion the 1400 dollars regardless of
where it comes from is all being taken from the same place "project money."
This is an administrative cost associated with running a non-profit and that
is where it should come from but this constant discussion of my money and
your money and this groups money and that groups money is quite frustrating.
We are all working together towards a common goal helping people help
themselves, be that person a migrant worker on Long Island, a victim of a
natural disaster, or a Nicaraguan campesina the dollars that we work to
raise be it via letters to friends and family, going door to door, or
writing grants is not being raised so we can pat ourselves on the back but
to fund the multitude of projects that we are all working on at any given
time. All of the discussion of who is going to pay is frustrating and flies
in the face of the work we are trying to accomplish. I realize that
extensive extra hours are spent doing banking work but these extra hours
mean more dollars raised which means more people being helped.

As for liability which seems to also be a constant topic of conversation. I
understand peoples trepidation. I make clear to all groups that Friends is
not sponsoring the trip I am a member of Friends and by extension of the
work the participants are doing they are extensions of Friends. If an
official waiver is created people will sign it. Over the past several trips
we have used a waiver and Peter has a copy of it on file. Just like the
Students trips the number 1 priority on my trips is the health and safety of
the participants. Lastly I strongly recommend that we move forward with
getting chapters established. Let the groups take things like banking into
their own hands. As long as Peter has oversight on monies raised and how
these monies are used let's make everyone's life easier. Miami, Binghamton,
JMU and New Paltz have already expressed interest. I also have enough
interest in the Boston area with Northeastern University and Emerson College
plus my friends to form a chapter here. Let's make this happen ASAP so
groups can form on college campuses in the fall.

Thank you,

Michael Cipoletti