[fsf60k] Nicaragua Trip Idea

  • From: Peter White <pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: diannedenicola@xxxxxxx, tish328@xxxxxxxxxxx, cm143@xxxxxxx, fsf60K@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 11:31:36 -0500

Hi to All of You,

        I hope all are well and survived the snow ok. I wanted to get back to
you
all (Can someone forward this to Joe Longo because I don't have his email
address)about our Nicaragua trip discussion going  back to early December. I
would love to bring a group of about 10 adults (some young people could
come, but no problem if Joe or others had son/nephew, etc.). By that I mean
it would not be part of a school trip with students. This would be a
mini-trip by my experience since I'm used to bringing more than 40 students,
sometimes as many as 48, and 10-12 adults on rather large delegations which
involve a lot of logistics. A group this size would be easier by far. The
trip could be any length of time the participants wish, but usually a week
is good. My trips usually run 9 days, but with people's work considerations,
maybe a one week period is plenty. We would  visit the many rurul regions
east and north of the city of Leon, Nicaragua. The areas are very poor and
people live in dilapidated housing and struggle greatly. They are very warm
and giving people despite their plight (poverty, drought, earthquakes,
hurricanes, war, etc.). If our group of 10 or so was able to raise $1740, we
could build a house for a family as part of our ongoing housing initiative.
So far this year we have built more than a dozen. Normally such a trip costs
airfare, plus $150 or so which includes rental truck, gas, water, food, all
trip costs. Airfare can vary, but usually $500- $600. Depends on the time of
year, how large the group, which airport we leave from, etc.

        I can explain so many more details if I knew just how interested you are
about this. Interest seemed quite high a few months ago, but I know
circumstances have a way of changing. So how about getting back to me about
three things: 1. How interested/serious you are about participating,  2. a
range of trip dates that would work for you, and 3. Whether you would like
to have a meeting so we could discuss all aspects of such a venture, and
when is good for you to meet. I am very excited about bringing former
students on this life changing experience and would love to get going on it
if there's a possibility of it happening. Also, feel free to suggest it to
other alumni or others if you wish. Be well.

        Pete White
        16 Stony Hollow Rd., Centerport, NY 11721
        pedro831@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
        631-757-6150

p.s. If you wish to get started, try googling Peter White, Northport High
School, Students for 60000, and Nicaragua, and plenty should come up.

***
You can unsubscribe from this list by sending an email to
fsf60k-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'unsubscribe' in the subject field.
An archive of messages is available at //www.freelists.org/archives/fsf60k.
FAQ'are available at //www.freelists.org/help/faq.html***