[fsf60k] Fwd: immigration mailing

  • From: akillelea@xxxxxxx
  • To: FSF60K@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 20:57:36 -0400 (EDT)

-----Original Message-----
From: LI Council of Churches <LI_Council_of_Churches@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: akillelea <akillelea@xxxxxxx>
Sent: Wed, Apr 4, 2012 8:47 pm
Subject: immigration mailing

WORKERS WITHOUT WHEELS
                A Bicycle Give-Away & Mechanic Training Opportunity
                (wage, training, tools & bicycle provided)

                It is hard to find a job, especially if you lack transportation
to get to work and a skill to perform once you get there. And $4.25 a gallon
gasoline doesn’t help either! The Workers Without Wheels project of the
Congregational Church of Patchogue is here to help by training six people to be
bicycle mechanics. The trainees will be issued one new bicycle to assemble and
one used bicycle to repair. They will also be issued bicycle repair tools. The
trainees may keep one of the bicycles they repair or assemble as well as the
tools used to do so. The trainees will also be paid a decent wage. The training
sessions will be held on five consecutive Wednesday evenings between 6pm and
9pm starting on April 12th. The trainees will emerge with a bicycle, a set of
tools, a well-earned wage, and a skill.
                This is NOT a religious program. No questions of religious
affiliation (or lack of it) will be asked. No demands will be made. This
project is possible through a generous grant from the Self Development of
People Task Force of the Presbyterian Church USA in cooperation with the
Congregational Church of Patchogue. Our interest is in providing change in the
lives of economically poor, oppressed, and/or disadvantaged people who will
benefit directly from this project.
                Do you think you qualify and do you wish to participate in the
Workers Without Wheels Bicycle Mechanic Training Opportunity? Contact Rev.
Dwight Lee Wolter at the Congregational Church of Patchogue, 95 East Main
Street, at 631.475.1235 or pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                TRABAJADORES SIN RUEDAS
                Se regalan bicicletas y la oportunidad de formarse en mecánica
                (Se provee salario, entrenamiento, herramientas y bicicleta)

                Es difícil encontrar trabajo, especialmente si no tiene
transporte para ir a trabajar y las habilidades necesarias para realizarlo. El
coste de 4,25 dólares el galón de gasolina tampoco ayuda mucho! El proyecto de
“Trabajadores sin ruedas” o “Workers Without Wheels” de la “Iglesia
Congregacional de Patchogue” o “Congregational Church of Patchogue” esta aquí
para ayudar a formar a seis personas para ser mecánicos de bicicletas. Se les
entregará a los aprendices una bicicleta nueva desmontada para armar y una
bicicleta usada para reparar. Se les proveerá con herramientas para reparar
bicicletas. Los aprendices pueden quedarse una de las bicicletas que monten o
reparen y las herramientas. Asimismo, se les pagará con un salario decente a
los aprendices. Las sesiones de aprendizaje se realizarán cada miércoles por la
tarde de 6pm a 9pm durante cinco semanas consecutivas empezando el 12 de abril.
Los aprendices terminarán las sesiones con una bicicleta, un juego de
herramientas, un sueldo bien merecido y la habilidad de reparar bicicletas.

                Esto NO es un programa religioso. No se preguntará nada sobre
su religión o si es creyente. No se les exigirá nada. Este proyecto es posible
gracias a una generosa subvención del Self Development of People Task Force of
the Presbyterian Church USA en cooperación con la Congregational Church  of
Patchogue. Nuestro interés es proporcionar un cambio en las vidas de la gente
pobre, oprimida y en desventaja que se puede beneficiar directamente de este
proyecto.

                Usted cree que se esta capacitado y desea participar en el
proyecto de “Trabajadores sin ruedas” y formarse como mecánico de bicicletas?
Contacte con el Reverendo Dwight Lee Wolter en la Congregational Church de
Patchogue, 95 East Main Street, 631.475.1235 o pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

                ARTS COMPETITION ON “IMMIGRANTS IN AMERICA”
                The Holocaust Memorial and Tolerance Center of Nassau County
invites students to participate in our annual Literature, Art, Music, and
Multi-Media Competitions.
                The theme of this year’s competition is “Immigrants in America:
Confronting Prejudice and Celebrating Multiculturalism"
                The New Colossus by Emma Lazarus, 1883
                Not like the brazen giant of Greek fame,
                With conquering limbs astride from land to land;
                Here at our sea-washed, sunset gates shall stand
                A mighty woman with a torch, whose flame
                Is the imprisoned lightning, and her name
                Mother of Exiles. From her beacon-hand
                Glows world-wide welcome; her mild eyes command
                The air-bridged harbor that twin cities frame.
                "Keep ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
                With silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
                Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
                The wretched refuse of your teeming shore.
                Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
                I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"
                In 1903, “The New Colossus” was inscribed onto the base of the
Statue of Liberty. This poem expresses certain ideas about the United States as
a nation of immigrants. In all eras of US history, most new immigrants face
discrimination.  Examples include Chinese workers in the 1800s, Jewish refugees
in the 1930s, and Latino immigrants today.  To American Indians, “immigration”
began with the invasion of Europeans and offers a completely different
perspective to the issue.
                An Awards Ceremony will be held on Sunday, May 20, 2012. First
and Second Prize Awards of US Bonds are granted by category and school level.
                The deadline for entries is: April 6, 2012.
                For more information, please call 516-571-8040 or got to:
www.holocaust-nassau.org.

                Ayudando a Construir Una Juventud Única, Dinámica y Diversa

                El Consejo de Long Island sobre la Dependencia en el Alcohol y
las Drogas, el Consejo de Iglesias de Long Island y la Asociación de Mentoring
de Long Island se han unido para iniciar un nuevo programa de apoyo para niños
del Condado de Nassau cuyas madres se encuentran recluidas.   Los jóvenes, sus
guardianes y familiares tendrán acceso a una gran variedad de servicios
profesionales de salud física, salud mental, servicios sociales y financieros
diseñados para aumentar su calidad de vida y su bienestar general.

                ¿Cuáles son los requerimientos actuales para participar?

                                El/la niño/a debe tener entre 4 y 18 años de
edad

                                Vivir en el Condado de Nassau

                                Tener a su madre recluida en una prisión
estatal o federal, o se encuentra en la prisión esperando a ser transferida a
una prisión estatal o federal

                                Debe reunirse con un consejero por lo menos 4
horas a la semana por un año

                Refiere un menor al BUDDY Mentoring Program

                                                Nombre:
______________________________
                                                Apellido:
______________________________
                                                Relación con el/los niño/s:
______________
                                                Nombre del Guardián (si no es
usted):

                                                Nombre el niño:
________________________
                                                Apellido del niño:
________________________
                                                Fecha de Nac.:
_____/_____/_____Edad: _______
                                                Dirección
___________________________
                                                Ciudad: ______________ Código
Postal: ________

                                                Teléfono (día)
___________________________
                                                Teléfono (noche):
__________________________
                                                Mejor Hora para Llamar:
___________________
                                                Correo Electrónico:
________________________
                                                Cómo supo sobre el programa?

                                                Comentarios:
______________________

                                                BUDDY Program

                Por favor envía este formulario al Programa de LICADD BUDDY
Mentoring Program
                207 Hillside Avenue
                Williston Park, NY 11596
                ¡Contacta a Lauren Ventimiglia (516) 747-2606 para más
información!

                BE A FUN BUDDY
                CALL FOR MENTORS
                Mentors are needed to work with children and adolescents.
                The goal of the BUDDY Mentoring Program is the establishment of
a trusting relationship between a child and caring adult mentor that lasts for
no less than one year, and hopefully for a lifetime.
                Volunteer Mentors must:
                ·       Be 18 years of age or older.
                ·       Be able to commit to the program for one year.
                ·       Provide 4 hours per month of hands-on mentoring.
                ·       Participate in orientation and periodic trainings
                ·       Pass a background check and be fingerprinted

                How to Apply:
                Lauren Ventimiglia
                Program Coordinator
                207 Hillside Avenue
                Williston Park, NY 11596
                516-747-2606
                lventimiglia@xxxxxxxxxx

                HELP FOR IMMIGRANT WORKERS
                The State Department of Labor has a host of free programs
designed to help immigrants break into the workforce. The New York State
Department of Labor is addressing the language/employment barrier with a new
program designed to help immigrants navigate the working world and learn
English as well. Immigrant workforce counselors are set up at the State Labor
Department's one-stop centers in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Flushing, Patchogue,
Yonkers, Buffalo, Syracuse and Utica and they can provide assistance in a wide
variety of languages. They also refer clients to English as a Second Language
(ESL) classes. All of the Immigrant Workforce Project programs are free. For
more information, visit http://www.labor.ny.gov.

                WORSHIP IN MANY LANGUAGES
                Our new directory of 1500 churches, Unitarian Universalist
fellowships, and synagogues on Long Island is now ready. It lists local
congregations/parishes, denominational executives, local ecumenical and
interfaith organizations, non-parish clergy, chaplains, pastoral counselors,
and campus ministers, as well as information on how to find worship services in
many languages, from American Sign Language to Urdu, and worship for those with
special needs.
                We mail this directory free of charge to our member
congregations, the Friends of the LICC, and our major donors, and we will be
handing it out at our Board and meetings. If you do not receive your copy soon,
this may be a sign that you need to do the paperwork to officially join!
                We sell the directory for $50 to not-for-profit organizations
and for $100 to businesses that have a legitimate need to find local clergy,
such as funeral homes and hospitals. We also can email you the directory as a
Word file if this would be helpful. You can snail-mail a check made out to the
LICC to 1644 Denton Green, Hempstead NY 11550 Attention: Sara Weiss or you can
charge it to your MasterCard or Visa by calling 516-565-0290 with the relevant
information. If you have any questions, please contact Sara Weiss at
516-565-0290, ext. 207 or saraweiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

ANOTHER WAY TO  WELCOME IIMMIGRANTS: TEACH ANGLOS SPANISH
                Some congregations offer English as a Second Language classes,
and there is certainly a great need for this, but Central Islip United
Methodist Church found that many other agencies in this community are doing so
already. So they have started a Spanish class for English-speaking parishioners
to help them be a more a more welcoming congregation and community for Hispanic
neighbors and prospective congregants. For more info, call the Rev. Erik
Rasmussen at 631-234-6539.

                INTERRELIGIOUS VISITS
                The LICC’s new Dialogue Committee wants to encourage
inter-denominational and inter-religious visits to houses of worship, which is
one way to create communities that welcome immigrants. When Christians meet
local Sikhs, Bahais, and Jains, they are reminded that not all recent
immigrants are from Latin America. And Latinos often find they need a little
help in understanding Long Island’s astonishing religious diversity.
                If a picture is worth a thousand words, someone remarked once
at a meeting of the Long Island Multi-Faith Forum, a visit is worth a thousand
pictures. Would your church, synagogue, mosque,  gurudwara, temple or
fellowship welcome interfaith visitors? If so, what are good times to come and
whom should we list as a contact for visits? Is there anything you would like
visitors to know about where they should sit, what they should wear, and what
you would prefer that they do or not do?

                “BUILDING BRIDGES” PROGRAM OFFERED
                Understanding—and welcoming--our growing religious and ethnic
diversity is one way to change attitudes toward immigrants and immigration
reform. The Long Island Multi-Faith Forum would be glad to do a program for
your congregation, community group, or workplace to help folks get to know
their neighbors of other faiths. The Long Island Council of Churches and Auburn
Theological Seminary launched the Long Island Multi-Faith Forum in 1993 to help
people in our area understand their neighbors. The LIMFF unites hundreds of
Islanders from eleven different faith communities and many races,
nationalities, and cultures. Our volunteers represent the Bahai Faith, the
Brahma Kumaris, Buddhism, Christianity, Hinduisms, Islam, Jainism, Judaism,
Native American Spirituality, Sikhism, and Unitarian Universalism. If you are
not familiar with all these traditions or did not know that they are your
neighbors, you may need a Building Bridges program! The Forum has presented
more than 260 programs in schools, workplaces, and houses of worship, for
audiences ranging from ten to 1100. While most of our programs are done in
English, we have also been able to accommodate requests for Spanish language
and bi-lingual presentations and could try other languages as well. The Forum
has also developed a fun game-show format called “What’s My Faith.” For more
information, please visit www.liccny.org.
                Patchogue United Methodist Church, for example, is hosting a
Building Bridges program on Sunday, May 20, from 11:30-12:30, for both youth &
adults, after 10 a.m. worship
                The Annual Meeting of the Long Island Council of Churches, at
1st Presbyterian Church of Smithtown on Thursday, May 24, will feature a
Building Bridges program. We will be showing our “Faiths of Long Island” video
before the meeting,

                To request a Building Bridges presentation, please contact
Bernice Suplee at jbsuplee@xxxxxxx or (631) 665-7033.Michael Fairchild, who
produced the half-hour “Faiths of Long Island” video for the Long Island
Multi-Faith Forum has loaded it onto YouTube. You can see the video at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncnn5pd6Gu4

                The Rev. Thomas W. Goodhue
                Executive Director
                Long  Island Council of Churches
                1644  Denton Green
                Hempstead, NY 11550
                516-565-0290  ext. 206 (voice)
                516-565-0291 (fax)
                tomgoodhue@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
                http://www.liccny.org

                         Click to view this email in a browser

                If you no longer wish to receive these emails, please reply to
this message with "Unsubscribe" in the subject line or simply click on the
following link:  Unsubscribe

                        LI Council of Churches
        1644 Denton Green
                Hempstead, New York 11550